Monday, January 23, 2012

Lemon Bars!

So... I love to bake, cook, craft, etc. basically anything that Ms. Stewart can do, I can too, for the longest time she was my inspiration. I would buy all of her magazines, scour through her books to find something that I could replicate, literally for years- beginning in high school. Now, ah-hem, a few years later ;) ... I have taken on projects that are easy, some are difficult, and others are just plain frustrating that I can't get them to finish up. Just keepin' it real here. Those projects are the ones that I don't showcase, and because I don't, I feel like I'm cheating out or something. :/ I think that one of these days, I'm going to have to do a post simply on project fails. That might be kinda fun actually.

Now, I've rambled on for a bit there... so, since I was feeling a bit down that my latest project isn't finished up yet- weather is *so* not cooperating. :( Rain = no bueno for curing paint/stain. Just in case you didn't know. ;) So... what is the opposite of rain? Sun. Warm glorious sun. Exactly what I was wanting. Now, I knew what to do.

I went to my cookbook cabinet and began to skim my recipes to see what lemon flavored treat was going to be made. Lemon pound cake... lemon blueberry bundt cake... lemon drop cookies... white chocolate lemon truffles... I mean, c'mon, nothing says sunshine like a lemon, right? They are even bright yellow, and just the thought of a lemon makes me smile. I love lemons. I literally peel them like oranges and eat them. No joke. Okay, back to my deliciousness that I made this morning...

I ended up picking lemon bars. They are so simple, yet so perfect and whip up in about an hour from start to finish. Bonus!

Here's my recipe that I have altered from another woman that I love to try out her recipes, Paula Deen. The little guy even helped me out, he *loves* to bake with me, and these also happen to be his absolute favorite dessert. Sorry I don't have any pictures of these beauties, they are already gone. Gasp! I know. Crazy huh? I guess a mom who loves lemons & lemon bars + 2 kids that love lemon bars = no lemon bars for blog post later. :/ I guess I will have to make some more tomorrow... ha ha

Lemon Bars (adapted from Paula Deen)
Crust:
2 sticks salted butter at room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
Zest from 1 lemon

Filling:
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons of all purpose flour
8 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemons (I juiced 3 lemons, they were on the smaller size) I left the pulp in the juice too, just make sure to take out the seeds! :)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the crust ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.

Take your 9" x 13" pan and grease it with some butter or a cooking spray so your lemon bars don't stick to the pan.

Press your crust mixture into the pan evenly. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Do not turn off the oven, you will need to bake the filling too!

While the crust is baking whip up the filling. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well blended. This curd will be a little runny before you bake it, but trust me, it is delicious.

When the crust is done baking, pour your filling over the top of it and place it back into the oven and back for an additional 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. You can let them cool if you want, or you can break into them as soon as they are out. They are hot like lava though, if you do go that route. ;) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment