Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hand-made Christmas Tree

I can't believe how fast my kids have grown up... it seems like just yesterday (or maybe about a year ago) I was bringing home my daughter... She's now 6 years old, and my son is 3 years old. If only I could keep them small for a bit longer... ah, well, since that isn't going to happen any time soon, I try to find creative ways to capture their size during certain events to track their growth each year. This year, I have chosen to do a Christmas tree made out of their hand prints. :)

This project can become messy very quickly- especially with little mischievous boys- like mine! ;)

Supplies:
Acrylic paint- I used Americana brand in Mistletoe
Elmer's school glue
Glitter any color(s) you want
16" x 22" stretched canvas- I bought these at Michael's Craft Store- they come 2 in a pack for about $10 (they go on sale quite often- or you can use their coupon in the Sunday paper to get them for 40-50% off)
Plastic plate for spreading paint and glue



Step 1: Place approximately 2 tablespoons of paint on plate.




Step 2: Have your child carefully cover their hand in paint.
Note: You could cover your child's hand to limit the messy factor, using a inexpensive foam brush would work well for younger children.



Step 3:Place child's hand near bottom of canvas with fingers pointing to the top of the canvas. Press down firmly to make hand print.
Note: This needs to be done quickly to avoid the paint drying before you place their hand on the canvas.



I didn't get a chance to get the very first hand photographed alone, my son was about to touch the wall; and my daughter knew what came next. Sorry. :)

Step 4: Have your child make 2 hand prints in the same manner as Step 3.

Step 5: Have your child make 3 hand prints in the same manner as Step 3.

Step 6: Have your child make 4 hand prints in the same manner as Step 3. It should look like this the photo below.
Note: I alternated between my kids for who completed each row. My son did the first and third rows; my daughter did the second and fourth rows.



Step 7: Rotate picture and let paint dry completely before proceeding to the next step.



Step 8: Place a tablespoon of Elmer's glue on the plate.



Step 9: Have your children dip a finger into the glue.




Step 10: Have them place glue fingerprints in places around the "tree" for the first round of glitter.



Step 11: Sprinkle glitter over glue "ornaments" and cover completely.



Step 12: Carefully tip the canvas and then tap the canvas to have the loose glitter fall off.
Note: An adult should do this step to limit glitter from getting everywhere. Also, it is easier to tap the glitter off on to a piece of newspaper so you can reuse the glitter for another project.



Step 13: Repeat Step 10, Step 11 and Step 12 for each color of glitter you choose to use.


Step 14: Have each child dip one thumb into the glue.





Step 15: Have the children position their thumbs at the top of the tree to make a heart.
Note: Their thumbs need to be at an angle for the heart shape to work. You could also make a 5 point star with their thumbs too. Either one is cute! :)
Step 16: Make a squiggle of glue at the bottom of the tree for making a trunk.
Step 17: Sprinkle the top and bottom glue designs with glitter. (I used gold.)
Step 18: Carefully tip the canvas and then tap the canvas to have the loose glitter fall off.
Note: Again an adult should do this step to limit glitter from getting everywhere.

The little artists with their final project! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment